Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Canon 814XLS in action

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Rob Skates's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 28th, 2002
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A few months back I posted a request for advice concerning which make and model of camera was best. After reading the many responses, I decided to purchase a Canon 814xls. Well this evening I shot my first roll of K40.(Just some B roll for a spec political spot I'm shooting for my reel).

    The 814xls is a fantastic camera. It is solid and well balanced. The footage gauge in the viewfinder and the end of roll warning light worked smoothly. The last s8 camera I owned was a beaulieu 5008. The Canon is head and shoulders above the beaulieu. Nothing on that camera ever worked as well as it should have. Thanks for the advice everyone I'll report in when the footage comes back.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Colorburst300's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 12th, 2002
    Posts
    60
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Rob,

    How long have you been a cinematographer? What exactly do you do for work? On my post about the "NARC" movie you said you were the film loader in the Detroit shoot. Do you work for a specific company that works in part with the studio? Just curious, the job sounds cool.

    ~M

  3. #3
    Inactive Member GREATwarEAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2002
    Posts
    530
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    sk8s, I have a Beaulieu 5008. I'm curious as to what the specific problems were.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Rob Skates's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 28th, 2002
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have been a cinematographer for a little over 10 years. I started in college. I have shot mostly low budget films so as you can imagine the bulk of my income has come from working as a freelance camera assistant on commercials. The NARC job was a bit of a fluke. They came to detroit and hired a local UPM/Location Scout, she made a few calls and I got referred. Most of the old guard assistants in town will pass on anything low budget so that is most likely how it came to me.

    As for my beaulieu 5008, the problems were many and most likely just specific to my camera. The mic imput would produce nothing but static unless pressure was put on both side of the camera body. The footage counter did not work. Of course the common battery problems. The backwinding knob never did work right. The light meter however, was very accurate. The two roll I shot with the camera turned out well. The camera was just a bit quirky.

  5. #5
    megaagfan1
    Guest megaagfan1's Avatar

    Post

    I'm your first member!!! YAY!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •